As 2019 winds down, we compiled some suggested resolutions for employers (none of which involve diet or exercise):
- Update your employee handbook to comply with the Oregon Workplace Fairness Act and to include a policy addressing accommodations for pregnancy-related conditions;
- Post BOLI’s Workplace Accommodations Notice and be prepared to provide the Notice to new employees;
- Analyze the pay and duties of your exempt employees and re-classify as appropriate based on the new DOL salary threshold and, where applicable, Washington’s new duties and salary test;
- Update confidentiality agreements to ensure compliance with the Defend Trade Secrets Act;
- Review Oregon and Washington law on non-competition agreements and, for Washington employers, make sure new agreements that include post-termination restrictions on competition comply with HB 1450;
- Remind managers and supervisors that employees do not need to ask for medical leave to be entitled to it;
- Consult with counsel about whether to undertake an Equal-Pay Analysis pursuant to Oregon’s Pay Equity Law; and
- Commit to creating contemporaneous, fact based documentation.
Happy New Year! We look forward to sharing news and updates on employment law and related issues in 2020.